Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Throwback – It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

The Urban Dictionary defines throwback as “a sudden reminder of the past. This can be brought about by hearing a song from high school, etc.”

This blog post requires a teeny bit of splaining, as Ricky Ricardo would say. My husband and I were slightly apprehensive about some of the connotations that were (are) associated with having children. Mainly, the concept of the matchy, matchy T-shirt couple singing B-I-N-G-O sailing down the highway in their minivan on their way to Yosemite for a camping trip. C’mon…how many of us are not slightly nervous that we will lose all sense of self upon having children. No more angry white boy music, as my husband likes to call it, no more peaceful afternoons of laying out by the pool, etc.

With that being said, don’t get me wrong, we have sung our fair share of Three Blind Mice and the Itsy Bitsy Spider, BUT…the little life lesson for this post is to utilize your quirky personality in your parenting style so that you not only enjoy it more, but pass on fun bits of yourself to your child. Part of what drew my husband and I together was our similar sense of humor. We make each other laugh! We quote movies and sing silly songs, often! Just recently, we caught one another singing that silly internet sensation song, “Peanut Butter Jelly Time”, yes from WAAAY back then. Well, little ears catch on quickly and before we knew it, Cooper was singing it too!clip_image001

Now that I’ve taken care of the explanation…I figured we’d have a silly day where he would get to watch the video from which this obnoxious song originated, and of course eat peanut butter and jelly! We jazzed up his PB&J at lunch by cutting out cute little shapes (which he enjoyed thoroughly – loved the bite-sized pieces!) IMG_5013

I also tried out a Peanut Butter & Jelly cookie recipe you can find on allrecipes.com here. In a pinch, it’s a yummy cookie. It requires no flour, but I added one tablespoon to help with the batter. Here’s how they turned out!IMG_5052 Uncle Mac’s PB&Jelly Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c. peanut butter

1 c. sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

2T fruit preserves (any flavor – I used strawberry and cherry, strawberry tasted better to me)

(I also added 1 T flour, but you certainly don’t have to)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets (I rolled them into bouncy ball sizes, I know, mom frame of reference). Use a fork to make a criss-cross pattern. Make a small hole in the top of each cookie using the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill with preserves.

3. Bake for approximately 12 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool on sheets before transferring to wire racks. Enjoy!

My husband and I enjoyed relishing in our “throwback” with our son. We’ve been giggling each time we sing it. Have fun with your kids and your quirky personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!