Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Strawberry-Watermelon Slushie

IMG_1960 I CAN’T be the only one who gets a GIANT watermelon only to wonder how our teeny tiny little family is going to eat the entire thing. I found this delicious recipe on a fun blog – Our Best Bites. Yum-o! I made it for some girlfriends and our kids who I had over for a play date, and again at our 4th of July party. They were a hit! And you can use the leftovers to make popsicles, too!

IMG_1955 Strawberry-Watermelon Slushie
Recipe from Taste of Home
2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C fresh lemon juice
2-4 C ice cubes

    In a blender, combine the watermelon, strawberries, sugar and lemon juice; cover and process on high until smooth. With blender running, gradually add ice cubes until desired consistency is reached.  Pour into chilled glasses and serve immediately.
    Yield: 5-7 cups

    And…as per my promise…I DID make this recipe and here are a few helpful tidbits:

    • The ingredients are NOT set in stone…you can use more or less watermelon and strawberries.
    • You can use the cute old lemon “jugs” with lemon juice from the store. They work fine and you don’t have to juice a lemon!
    • I used 4 cups of ice each time.
    • I’m considering making an adult beverage as well someday, but haven’t done it just yet.

    Below is how much it yields and my son enjoying a taste!

    IMG_1952

    IMG_1961

    1 comment:

    1. I made this today ($5 watermelon at wal mart + going out of town= need to use it up quick!). Yumm. I only used a tablespoon of sugar at first because I'm trying to cut back on sugar...worked fine. I also used just the juice of one lemon cause that's all I had on hand. Worked out great! Thanks for sharing Becky!!

      ReplyDelete

    Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!