Thursday, July 29, 2010

National Lasagna Day

Mexican Chicken Lasagna Sorry for the lack of posts…I’ve been sick for about a week and have had enough energy to…well…BARELY watch my son. But, I think I’m on the mend, hallelujah! So, today was National Lasagna Day and I mustered up the “energy” (‘cuz it’s SOO much work) to make Mexican Chicken Lasagna, a recipe courtesy of Pampered Chef.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take step-by-step pictures and CONFESSION: I “stole” the pic above from the web. Mine, while it tastes divine, doesn’t look nearly as pretty! But, here’s how it’s made (I make it slightly different than the Pampered Chef recipe says):

Mexican Chicken “Lasagna”

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese

¼ c. lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

2 c. (8oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided

1 can (28oz) enchilada sauce (I think I use Old El Paso – mild)

9-12 (6-in.) corn tortillas

3 c. diced or shredded cooked chicken

2/3 c. chopped onion

Directions:

I cooked the chicken in the crockpot. I just threw 2-3 frozen chicken breasts with about a 1/4 c. of water in on high for 4 hours and, Voila! Instant delicious, moist shredded chicken.

Microwave cream cheese on high 30-45 seconds. Add cilantro and 1 ½ c. Monterey Jack cheese; mix well. Spread 2/3 c. enchilada sauce over bottom of deep covered baker. (See, this is where Pampered Chef says, use our fancy pan! I just used the deep covered baker I have, and to be honest a 9x13” pan would probably work just as well.) Pour remaining sauce into large bowl, set aside.

Dip 3-4 tortillas into enchilada sauce, arrange over sauce in baker. Scoop half of cream cheese mixture over tortillas, spread evenly. (This is messy, unless you have some gift of using a spatula or something, but, it doesn’t have to be perfect). Top with 1 cup of chicken and 1/3 of onion. Repeat layers 1 time. Dip remaining 3-4 tortillas, arrange over 2nd layer. Top with remaining chicken and onion. Pour remaining sauce over and sprinkle with remaining ½ c. jack cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-35 minutes. Mmm…it’s delicious! Enjoy the twist on National Lasagna Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!