Disneyland opened today way back in 1955! =) We’ll be celebrating this one in August when we head down to LA, so for today, we settled for a plain old park, which still offered lots of adventure! Cooper particularly enjoyed the bunnies. And I’m cherishing these moments while Cooper wants me to experience everything with him. Here’s a picture of him pointing to the ramp he wants me to come and climb with him. Doesn’t it just make your heart melt? I also tried a new recipe I thought I’d share. It’s different, very…zingy? Ryan enjoyed it. Here goes:
Butter Lettuce Salad
- 3 cups walnut halves (9 oz.)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- About 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1 pound butter lettuce, rinsed, crisped, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups rinsed and stemmed red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cup finely slivered red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
1. In a 10- by 15-inch baking pan, mix walnuts with 1 tablespoon oil, the sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; spread level. Bake in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, until nuts are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, shallots, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup oil until vinaigrette is emulsified. Add lettuce, grapes, red onion, tarragon, and sugared walnuts; mix gently to coat, adding more salt and pepper to taste.