Sunday, January 6, 2013

Simple Things Sunday

The “simple” thing I’m celebrating today is…

The word of GodIMG_6259*Side note* Don’t mock my bookmark…I’m a Napolean fan, it makes me smile =)

I recently had a conversation in the car with my son about talking to God. Upon hearing the song “Live Like That” by Sidewalk Prophets, he asked, “What’s this song talking about?”

I replied, “They’re talking about living how God wants us to live.”

He said, “How do I know how God wants me to live?”

I said, “Well, we pray to God, ask Him, and listen to Him.”

My son follows up with, “But, I can’t hear His voice.”

“I know. But that doesn’t mean He doesn’t talk to us. He talks to your heart, you’ll know.”

“But mom…my heart can’t hear.”

“No, but just like when you feel emotions, God speaks to you through your heart. The other way we can hear what He wants to say to us is by reading the Bible. Those are words directly from Him, so in that way, we can hear Him. And it teaches all kinds of things about how God wants us to live. For example, He wants us to be kind to others. Obey our parents. And tell others about Jesus.”

And…out of the mouths of babes…"I’ll try mom, but I mess up sometimes.”

“We ALL do honey! That’s why Jesus came to save us!”

****************************************************

This was a great reminder to me how amazing the Bible is! The actual breath of God, that I have the freedom, the ease of reading, whenever I so desire!

IMG_6255

So, while I’m not into New Year’s Resolutions, I’m looking forward to reading through the Bible in chronological order this year. I’ve done it once before and learned so much!

Reading my Bible

How about you? Will you celebrate the word of God with me? Even if you don’t believe it, you can still revel in it’s ancient traditions, historical references, and continuity across years and years. Seriously…romance, adventure, battles, heartache, victories, sci fi…it’s epic! You certainly don’t have to read it in one year (in fact, if you’re just starting, I wouldn’t recommend it)! But broken down into stories, you’ll love it! Here’s a link to a list of popular Bible stories and the references. Read to your heart’s content!

2 comments:

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!