Friday, July 1, 2011

National Postal Worker Day

IMG_5398 From what I found searching on the internet, National Postal Worker Day has been in effect since 1997 and was chosen because it is also the date in 1775 in which Benjamin Franklin appointed the first ever Postmaster General by the Continental Congress. The inscription on the Main Post Office in New York City reads:

Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

I don’t know about your city, but where I live right now, it’s HOOOOT! So, I put together a little “Sunshine in a Box” (found the idea here) to brighten our postal worker’s day.

First, I found a box that would fit in our mail slot. (It’s actually our can dog food box!) I prettied it up with paper.IMG_5385(I actually ended up covering the inside walls, too. That darn perfectionist in me!)

Next, Cooper helped me string a cute little banner that our postal worker can take back to hang at the post office so everyone feels some love. IMG_5387 I hung it quick to take a picture. It says, “Happy Postal Worker Day”. IMG_5391IMG_5392(a little closer up so you can actually see it)IMG_5393   IMG_5395I wrapped it up so it’s compact, but ready to hang!

Next, we gathered sunshiney yummies and goodies for our postal worker! The box includes the following:

  • Lemon Bar Mix
  • Yellow Laffy Taffy
  • Peach Rings
  • Popcorn
  • Lemonade Mix
  • Lemonhead Candy
  • Yellow FlowerIMG_5399IMG_5401(Here you can see the inside lined with paper. So much cuter, huh?)

Lastly, we printed out a cute little card that said, “Happy Postal Worker Day” and wrote the following:IMG_5406 We’re ready to head to the mailbox!IMG_5405It fit perfectly! IMG_5408 IMG_5409I hope our postal worker enjoys the unexpected surprise! They really do deserve to be thanked. =)

 July 1st, 2010

1 comment:

  1. ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS! I wish that I had known about this special occasion!!! I will definitely be filing this away for next National Postal Worker DAy! I love that you are teaching your cute little Happy Buddy about loving/appreciating the hardworking people in our world! You are a wonderful mommy! And thank you for commenting on my site today - made my day!!

    ReplyDelete

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!