Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

IMG_5420My parents were visiting for the fourth of July, which meant we also got to celebrate my mom’s birthday! This was definitely worthy of our Cool Summer Days calendar activities! There’s really nothing better than hearing your son (or grandson in this case) greet you with a “Happy Birthday, Grammy!” Just melts your heart!

*CONFESSION* I’m HORRIBLE when it comes to birthdays. I’m not sure why, but other than my children’s b-days, I’m never going to be reliable when it comes to celebrating anybody else’s birthday. So, if you’re my friend, I apologize in advanced.

With that said, I had no gift for my mom, just asked her what she’d like to do. So, we got mani/pedis, had breakfast at good ol’ Karen’s Bakery, and as a surprise, I made her Texas Sheet Cake (which I’d recalled being one of her faves!). Unfortunately, no picture of her with the cake (she’s not a fan of posing for pictures, so I was stoked when I got the adorable snapshot above!). BUT, I will pass on the recipe from Our Best Bites anyhow.

We also had dinner at Cheesecake Factory (which was a bit silly, because we had no cheesecake due to the Texas Sheet Cake at home, but of course dinner was delish nonetheless!) See my purdy nails in the pic!IMG_5422 Texas Sheet Cake

½ c. real butter
½ c. shortening
2 1-oz. squares baking chocolate
½ c. buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. sugar
1 c. water
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

FROSTING:
6 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. butter
2 1-oz. squares baking chocolate
1 lb. powdered sugar
½ c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 11 x 17 jelly roll pan.

2. Combine ½ c. butter, ½ c. shortening, 2 oz. chocolate, and water in a small saucepan. Heat until chocolate is melted.

3. In a separate small bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Set aside.

4. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, buttermilk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla. Combine with chocolate mixture. Add flour mixture and mix very well. Pour into pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a pick comes out clean. Five minutes before cake is done, make frosting.

FROSTING:

Combine milk, chocolate, and butter in a large (or medium-large) saucepan. Heat until bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. If desired, add 1 c. nuts (optional, preferably chopped walnuts or pecans). While icing is still warm, pour over cake.

I haven’t met a recipe I didn’t like from Our Best Bites. My mom loved it! Next time, I would for sure add the walnuts! It was tasty, but it needed that texture, for me personally I think at least!

In closing, I want to say to my mommy…

I truly hope you had an amazingly perfect, fantabulous birthday this year! I know I’m far from perfect when it comes to thanking you and celebrating your role in my life (which will NEVER be replaced nor taken for granted), but I want you to know that I truly celebrate your “birth”day and how special you are to me! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!