Monday, February 28, 2011

Ready to “POP” gifts…

IMG_4145 This post provides a solution to two quandaries…
#1. A delicious recipe to make for Peanut Butter Lovers Day – March 1st!
AND…
#2. An adorable gift for anyone assisting you with the birth of your child!
First up, the recipe, courtesy of Our Best Bites yet again!! Follow the link on the recipe title to their beautiful pictures of the delicious snack!
Solution #1: Recipe
Recipe by Our Best Bites
I halved the recipe and used one microwave bag of popcorn. I also used the reader suggestion of substituting half the peanut butter chips with chocolate chips. Therefore, the popcorn will look more chocolatey in my pics. When I make more, I’ll definitely use the full recipe and may try it as is..particularly for PB Lovers Day! =)
Also helpful? Don’t use a nearly expired bag of microwave popcorn! I came across an unfortunate number of un-popped seeds in my snack. =( Boo! I’ll fix that before presenting it as gifts.
2 bags of Simply Salted (or similar) popcorn (or about 20 cups of popped popcorn)
2 c. honey roasted peanuts
3 c. peanut butter chips (I used Reese's)*
2/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips *
1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or oil
*I LOVED this suggestion from one of our readers. If you want more chocolatey flavor in your popcorn, substitute 1 c. of the peanut butter chips with 1 c. of chocolate chips and then still drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn at the end.
Place the peanuts popped popcorn in a very large bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter chips and vegetable oil or shortening and heat for 2-2 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle the melted peanut butter chips over the popcorn and peanuts and toss to combine.
Spread the popcorn onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet. In a Ziploc bag, heat the semi-sweet chocolate chips until just melted and smooth (about 1-1 1/2 minutes, mashing the bag every 20-30 seconds). Cut a small corner in the Ziploc bag and drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn. (2 helpful hints - #1: I was thrilled to find that putting the bag in the microwave was not a problem at all! and #2: cut a SMALL hole in the bag, I cut mine too big initially and had clumps of chocolate instead of a pretty drizzle.) Allow to stand long enough to become solid (you can transfer the pan to the fridge or freezer to hurry this step along). When done, break the popcorn into small pieces and enjoy!
Solution #2: The Adorable GiftIMG_4142  My husband rolled his eyes several times when it came to this adorable creation. Eyeroll #1? When I purchased the Popcorn containers on sale at Michael’s. Didn’t know for sure how I was going to use them, but soo cute and would of course make a fantastic gift somewhere down the line.
Eyeroll #2? Why on EARTH would I go to so much trouble to create something for people such as my OB and the nurses who are assisting with my delivery. My response? Why on EARTH would I not? Are they not incredibly instrumental in my support and comfort in one of the most rare and precious moments of your life? =) I’ll also probably make some for my family watching my son at home (sorry to ruin the surprise folks, hehe). AND…was it really THAT much trouble? Umm, no. Fun really!
All I did was wrap the delicious treat in cellophane, tie it closed with some pretty tulle, and attach an adorable print-out as so…IMG_4141 How fun! And if anything, it’s helping distract me as the countdown begins…10 days and counting!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

1 comment:

  1. love this, so cute...I recently saw a recipe for Girl Scout Saomoa popcorn...going to go find that now, thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!