Friday, February 11, 2011

Crayon Roll…aka: I CAN sew!

IMG_4006  I can’t recall if I’ve shared that I received my first sewing machine for Christmas. I was borrowing my poor best friend’s (and breaking parts half the time I borrowed it…sorry friend), and decided it was about time I became acquainted with a machine that was my very own. Then, perhaps I might actually sew more frequently, with less frustration.

IMG_4007So, my first project on my new sewing machine was the valance for my baby girl’s room:IMG_3808 Thankfully, I did have some helpful hands watching over as I made my attempt. But, I was thrilled! It turned out great.

For my next project, I thought I’d try something small, less fabric to destroy in case of total destruction. =) But, the more projects I do, the more comfortable I will become, right?

I found this idea for a Crayon Roll on The Pleated Poppy. Adorable, and maybe will actually get my son to enjoy coloring a bit more! I bought the fabric at Joann’s and completed the project in less than half a day! Not too shabby. I didn’t include step by step instructions, those you can find at the link for the Pleated Poppy above.

Supplies:

2 pieces of same fabric for outside and inside – 5″ x 16 1/2″

1 piece of coordinating fabric for pocket – 6″ x 16 1/2″

1 piece of flannel for lining (color doesn’t matter)– 5″ x 16 1/2″

1 coordinating hair elastic

1 button

needle and thread

1 box of 16 crayons

disappearing ink fabric marker

I will share the two steps that gave me a little hesitation (my motto here on rookietorockstar is I’ve tested it…otherwise, I won’t share). Here’s the final product:

IMG_4008-corrected IMG_4007

IMG_4009

IMG_4010

Step #1: Sewing down the hair elastic.

A hair elastic is thick, people. So, to get it to pass under the sewing machine foot is a bit tricky. But, once you get it, it’s no biggie. Just be persistent (and in my case, using the same color thread as the fabric helped hide any imperfections).

Step #2: Sewing on the button.

I believe they call this an “invisible stitch”? I realized I couldn’t just go through the fabric, because that would sew the pocket closed behind it. So, you have to just catch some fabric as you sew. I was worried because the button obviously needs to be pretty sturdy with toddler fingers pulling at it. But, after lots of stitches, it seems to be pretty sturdy.

Other than that…the project went pretty flawlessly with the instructions provided over at The Pleated Poppy! Yay, another sewing project under my belt. I bought extra fabric and plan to make more for a few friends. Fun, fun! Don’t be shy about sewing ya’ll…just give it a go, like me. If I can do it, you can, trust me!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!